Saturday, April 17, 2010

Standing on a Toilet and Tuk Tuks

From the Bangkok airport we took a normal taxi to then take us to the bus station. – this is where we became fully immersed in Thailand. There was not a “Falung” in sight [Thai for foreigner]. It was all very, very similar to the bus station and bus rides in Chile. i.e. people getting on and off the bus selling goods etc. The most hilarious thing happened at the bus station though. I had to use the restroom so first I had to pay to GO IN the restroom and then I had to pay someone else for toilet paper and then when I got in the stall it was so disgusting that I couldn’t get myself to sit on it so what did I do? . . . I got up on the toilet seat with my shoes on and squatted of course!!!!! I am such a changed woman now that I have been introduced to the squatter! :) Ha ha! I was laughing (inwardly) so hard. Matt and I are going to have a squatter in our house someday. It is so much more sanitary!

So after the 4 hour or so bus ride we arrived at Korat. Tuk Tuk’s seemed to be the main form of transportation from the bus station, but with our luggage there was NO WAY that would work. A “tuk tuk” is a scooter carriage. The driver is up front straddling the scooter part and steering with the handle bars and we are on a bench platform behind him. Kind of like a large three wheeler maybe? Anyway, we are all covered with a metal canopy and there you go.











No comments: