Thursday, October 30, 2008

Oh the things my daughter does . . .

A Few Short Stories For My Uncle Ron


Any time Ellie is asked "How are you?" she says "Doin Fine" with a confident and casual air about her. She usually nods her head while saying it too. It is the cutest thing and I have no idea where she got that response from.

When told to go talk to her Dad to see if she could watch a show Ellie plopped herself down on the floor next to Matt and in a very serious and determined voice said "Dad, we need to talk. Lets talk about me watching a show." -- and how could he say "No" to that!


Often times Matt and I will ask each other what the other thinks about Ellie doing or eating something. Ellie has now caught on to our phrasing and yesterday she came up to me and asked in a very adult fashion "Mommy, what you think about me having a treat right now?"


Last night was our ward church party so Ellie is now in possession of a pumpkin full of candy. All morning she has been playing with her candy. First she took them all out and lined them up in a straight line. The suckers were carefully balanced on their tops in this line and if they wouldn't stand she insisted that they were broken. Ellie then divided the candy into groups: suckers with suckers, nerds with nerds, and skittles with skittles. Categorizing them by color came next: all the pink wrappers with the pink wrappers and the yellow with the yellow. The candies were then gathered and placed once again in a straight line and the whole process was repeated. After a while of that Ellie brought me each piece of candy asking what it was, if it had "tummy aches" in it and if I liked it. One by one they were brought to me. Licorice, sour patch kids, tootsies, and pixie sticks. When that inspection of hers was done she proceeded to gather her purse and keys and pretended to go to the store to buy all the "candies". She went in the corner of the room and "paid" for them individually and when she brought the candy back to me she reminded me that I couldn't eat them until after I had had my dinner :) Smart Girl - so I thought . . .

It was after this morning filled with candy that I told Ellie that she couldn't have any more until after lunch. She seemed alright with that idea for about five minutes. Oddly enough I was really torn about what to do because Matt had given me a hard time last night when I only let Ellie eat one piece of candy before her bed time. He said "It's Halloween! Let her eat all the candy she wants!" He, of course, would not be around to face any of the consequences, but he still echoed in my head and I wasn't sure what to do. I had already told Ellie no candy until lunch and it wasn't even 11am, but my husband and my inner child was saying "Just let her live a little and eat the candy!"

My solution to the problem, I thought, was simple. After short while and I told Ellie that she would have to ask Noah if she could have candy before lunch. You have to understand that Ellie ALWAYS talks to Noah. She asks him all sorts of questions and she truly believes that he answers her so this little act would be no different than any other conversation with Noah The key would be to just make sure that she knew Noah said "Yes". So the question was posed to Noah and the positive response was given. Some how this facade made my conscience feel better. I didn't have to go completely back on my word (right?) and Ellie still got another piece candy.

Well, a little while later Ellie once again asked if she could have another piece of candy. By this time my controlling motherly instinct had already kicked back in and I decided that she really needed to wait 'til after her lunch for more candy. Upon hearing my negative response to her plea Ellie quickly said "Hmph, I'm gonna talk to Noah!!" and she turned and walked right out of the room. I exploded with laughter! Over my giggles and chortles in the kitchen I heard Ellie yell out from the other room "MOM! NOAH SAID YES!!!" And she was dead serious! It took me a while to regain my composure and Ellie never did figure out why I was laughing, but it was all too funny. Oh how did I not see that one coming!!

5 comments:

JoyRGardner@gmail.com said...

I loved reading about Ellie's personality. She is a really smart kid which doesn't surprise me because her parents are both really smart kids. I can't wait to get around and get to know this little gal better. Too cute!

DaveandTeneal said...

I loved that. Tell Ellie that any time she needs someone to side with her she needs to call her uncle Dave. these little kids were sure born ready to withstand the pressures of this world

We love you

Real Life Roberts said...

Ellie is way too mature for her age! She is a personality star! So darling!

DaveandTeneal said...

I (teneal) must also add that I think Ellie's stories has Dave hooked, he was laughing hysterical the other day and couldn't hardly tell me why, it wasn't until he calmed down a bit that I could understand that he was fully entertained by the logic and personality of little Ellie!! We love you guys, I'm glad you're keeping a blog now, I'm so proud of you!

JoyRGardner@gmail.com said...

Hey, I want to see more cute pictures of Halloween. I couldn't blow up the image on your side bar:) You all are too cute.