Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Date to Remember

Two months ago, on August 22nd, Matt and I went on a double date with some of our close friends and it turned out to be one of our funnest dates ever! It all started when Matt bought me a set of golf clubs for my birthday - they were from a garage sale and there was even a free bottle of whisky in the golf bag! Then Matt finally got his new driver which was a trophy for making it through boards. These two events combined formed an intense need for Matt to take me golfing. With a new born baby and the ever tight budget I seriously doubted that we would ever escape to the golf course, but when our friends Melissa and Zo asked us if we would double with them for a work golf and dine event we couldn't turn it down.
The golf course was incredibly ritzy and Melissa and I soon learned why most girls don't love golf -- you aren't allowed to talk! Our husbands had to continually "shush" us when we would forget the etiquette and start talking or asking questions while someone was up to golf. Not to say that we weren't enjoying ourselves - driving the carts from hole to hole and trying to contain our laughter after wild shots was very entertaining--but the date went to a whole new level of fun when it started to rain!
At first the boys tried to push on through, determined to get their full game of golf in, but as the lightning flashed around us it was decided that swinging metal rods over our heads probably wasn't the smartest thing to be doing! Once the decision to turn back to the club house was made it began to POUR. And I mean POUR. We jumped in the carts and began racing back as fast as we could while the rain was coming at us on all sides. My vision was completely blurred when what felt like buckets of water continued to hit my face, making my make-up run everywhere. My eyes stung as my watered down mascara slips past my eyelids but I have never laughed so hard. I felt like a drunk driver swerving and trying desperately to stay on that narrow and winding path.
Matt was holding on for dear life as we would twist and hit bumps. It was actually quite a rush to fly across the course in what felt like wild abandon - only occasionally looking back to see if Melissa and Zo were still with us or if they had fallen victims to this intense dowsing of water. They were always relatively close behind so I continued to push the pedal to the metal while I screamed and laughed 'til I was crying. I felt like a little kid again living a video game. When we finally fought our way through the storm to the club house we managed to take a few pictures of our soaked selves and then we slipped inside to the dining portion of our evening.
After eating and declining the offers of beer, we set back to Melissa and Zo's house where we were able to change into some dry clothes and spend the rest of the evening REALLY relaxing with hot chocolate and good company. Talk about an ideal date. Outdoors, adventure, food, laughter, ending with cuddle time on a couch. Not to mention we had FREE babysitting that night! I don't think it gets any better than that.

The couples surviving the pre-storm humidity!

The Boys Determined Play on Through



The Aftermath . . .





The Sweet Ending to an Awesome Date

No comments: